Saturday, October 22, 2011

Falling Digi/Hybrid Card

Hello! It’s Pene with you today and I wanted to share a digital card that in a few easy steps turns into a gorgeous hybrid card!

When I saw Litabell’s Designs new kit Falling (available now at Scrap Orchard), I was instantly drawn to the gorgeous tree and the cute little owl and decided it would look great on a birthday card.



I made an A4 page (roughly Letter size in the US) in Photoshop Elements 6.0 and used the rectangle tool to make a 20cm wide by 15cm high shape.  I clipped the creamy background paper to this shape.  You can use the guides to use halve the card so that when you print it you just have to fold it in half for it to be the right size.  The guides also let you put the elements etc to the right scale so it prints nicely. 

I dragged the tree element to this layer, resized it and added a shadow.  I used the green tape element from the kit for a grassy kind of look, again resizing and shadowing.  I then dragged the owl onto the tree and resized it and did the same with the word strips.  I used the text tool to add “ Have a hoot on your birthday” to the wordstrip. 

If you want this to be a purely digital card that you print, you would place the owl and word strip where you want it on the front of the card, add shadows and print.

However I wanted that beautiful owl to have a bit more pop, so after I sized it I dragged it off the card to the A4 background underneath. I did the same with the wordstrips.

I printed it on Vanilla coloured cardstock, cut out the rectangle that is the card, plus the owl and wordstrip.  I inked everything with Tim Holtz distress ink in Brushed Corduroy, as I think it adds some nice depth and a bit of grunge to the card.

I stuck the owl on with dimensionals so he pops out and used doubled sided tape for the wordstrips.  I then used Crystal Effects (Stampin’ Up) on the owl and the word strips.  This gives it a very glossy and 3D effect, almost like an epoxy sticker.
When it was dry (it takes about 30 mins), I simply folded the card in half and inked the folded edge.


 I have made this into a download for you so you can make your own.  You can get it here.

Cheers,
Pene xo

1 comments:

CBH 23 October, 2011 00:27  

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 5 post on Oct. 22, 2011. Thanks again.